ABOUT THIS COURSE
- Understanding Spinal Cord Injury: A Course for Personal Care Assistants” is the first, free online education resource specifically designed to introduce personal care assistants to spinal cord injury (SCI)
- Content was created with guidance from people living with SCI and their families, experienced personal care assistants, and rehabilitation professionals
- Anyone can register and access the course for free: https://bit.ly/understandingSCI
GOAL OF COURSE
To enhance the quality of personal care assistance available to people with spinal cord injury
RATIONALE FOR DEVELOPING THE COURSE
- SCI is a life-changing condition that often creates a need for hands-on help with important daily tasks from others
- This hands-on help (referred to as personal care assistance) is needed to prevent medical complications and enable participation in community life
- Most home health care providers lack experience working with clients with SCI
- A better understanding of the needs and preferences of clients with SCI will help personal care assistants provide the best care
WHY TAKE THIS COURSE?
- To gain a better understanding of the needs and experiences of individuals with SCI
- To receive practical suggestions on how to improve communications and build positive working relationships
- To attain the necessary tools and resources to support client care for individuals with SCI
WHO CAN BENEFIT FROM THIS COURSE?
- Home health care providers (such as agencies, nursing assistants, home health care aides)
- Individuals with SCI and their families
- Rehabilitation programs
COURSE MODULE TOPICS
- What is Spinal Cord Injury?
- Physical Functions Affected by SCI
- Personal and Social Challenges Created by SCI
- Common Misunderstandings about SCI
- Complications of SCI
- Applying What You’ve Learned
- Additional Insights
HOW TO ACCESS COURSE
- Log on to Kessler Foundation Learning Center (KFLearn.org) or click https://bit.ly/understandingSCI
- Access course from any device including computers, tablets and mobile phones
To see more Kessler Foundation video shorts, visit https://www.youtube.com/@KesslerFoundation/shorts
Email any questions about the course to: [email protected]
Production of the course was supported by Grant #90IF0115 from the National Institute on Disability, Independent Living, and Rehabilitation Research and in part by Grant #862 from the Paralyzed Veterans of America Education Foundation.