|This study is an experimental trial to evaluate and quantify differences in propulsion mechanics associated with the use of standard (SWC) versus ultralight (UWC) wheelchairs in pediatric manual wheelchair users.|
Completion of all procedures are expected to take approximately two (2) hours. Additional time will be required for travel to and from the study site.
In order to participate in this study, my child is required to meet several criteria:
- My child is between 7 and 18 years old.
- My child uses a manual wheelchair as his or her main way if getting around
- My child has been using a manual wheelchair for at least one year.
- My child can move around in his or her wheelchair for 20 minutes at a comfortable speed, with only few rests.
- My child is able to speak and understand English and follow directions
If my child completes the study, my child will be paid $75 for his or her participation.
If my child completes part of the study, he or she may be provided this amount, or partial level of reimbursement, at the discretion of the study director in view of the circumstances and reasons.
If unusual travel expenses are involved, additional reimbursement for these will be considered.
All payments will be in the form of a check payable and sent to the home address of the parent/guardian (7-17) or participant (18 years). This may take 4 to 6 weeks for processing.