The purpose of this study is to evaluate the usefulness of an upper extremity assistive device called MyoPro in improving upper extremity activities in people with incomplete SCI.
Participants are randomly assigned to 1 of 3 groups: 1. MyoPro group, 2. Static brace (SB) group, or 3. conventional therapy (CT) group. Group assignment determines which therapy participants receive in addition to any other types of therapy prescribed by your physician.
Participation lasts approximately 10 weeks including:
- a screening visit
- baseline assessment and 2 training sessions (2 hours each)
- 3 training sessions a week for 6 weeks (60 minutes each)
- follow-up visit after 6 weeks of therapy and 2 training sessions (2 hours each)
- Individuals diagnosed with SCI(iSCI (ASIA Impairment Scale (AIS) C and D, (C1-C8)) who are at least 1 year post injury
- aged 18-80 years
- medically stable with no expected changes in medication dosage
- able to activate biceps and triceps brachii, and forearm muscles with sufficient muscle signal amplitude as determined by the physical/occupational therapist
- have some visible muscle contraction (with or without range of motion) on upper extremity as determined by study staff
- have full passive range of motion for elbow flexion and extension as determined by study staff.
Participants who complete the study will receive $100.