|The purpose of this research is to provide insight into the efficacy of physical training enhanced by mental practice for the rehabilitation of TBI patients. Researchers want to improve understanding of the neural mechanisms of physical deficits caused by TBI and see if the mental practice exercise can modulate this neural mechanism and promote recovery.|
Participation in the study will take approximately 2 months. Participants will be enrolled in one of two training groups. Participants will attend 3 physical training sessions per week for 4 weeks for a total of 12 sessions. Each training session will last about 1 hour. In addition, participants will visit Kessler Foundation in West Orange, NJ for 3 measurement visits, 1 week before training, 1 week after training, and 1 final visit 3 weeks after training.
- 20-60 years old.
- Diagnosed with moderate to severe Traumatic Brain Injury.
- Injury occurred at least 1 year ago.
- Problems controlling arm movements.
- Speak and understand English.
- Willing and able to travel to Kessler Foundation in West Orange, NJ for the 3 testing sessions and the 12 session intervention.
- Stable health with no expected medication changes for the next 4 months.
$50 for each testing visit and $20 per physical training session. Payment will be given based on testing visits and sessions completed.